Resin wicker, also known as all-weather wicker, is manufactured primarily for use in outdoor patio furniture. It has the appearance of natural wicker, but is a synthetic material, generally made from polyethylene (PE) and is fast becoming the premier choice for designers, commercial installations and home owners alike.
Patio furniture constructed from PE wicker has many benefits including:
- Weather Resistant. Resin wicker is commonly known as all-weather wicker and it stands up to that name. It can endure the heat of the Southern California sun and the inclement conditions of the East Coast and everything else in between.
- PE Wicker patio furniture is usually hand woven over a powder coated aluminum frame making it sturdy, yet incredibly light weight. Modular sofa chairs can weigh anywhere from 20 to 30 pounds so they take little effort to move.
- The aluminum frame is hard wearing and rust resistant, making it ideal for inclement climates.
- PE wicker is resilient; it won't chip or tear and need costly repairs.
- UV inhibitors are woven into every strand making it fade resistant, so your patio furniture it will look as good as the day you purchased it.
- One of the most attractive features of PE wicker is that it is practically maintenance free; under normal circumstances it just needs to be hosed down with water to effectively remove surface dirt.
- It is affordable. Depending on the style and complexity of the wicker design, you will typically pay far less than say a patio set in teak or wrought iron.
- PE wicker strands are pliable and easy to work with which gives manufacturers plenty of scope with design, enabling them to make sectionals to round daybeds and hanging chairs in all shapes and sizes.
- There are more color and style options. Due to the fact that it is not a natural fiber, PE wicker can be crafted into many different styles and textures, flat and round wicker being the most prevalent. Colors range from browns and grays to honey almond, white and blue.
- It has inbuilt water and humidity resistance therefore it will not be susceptible to mold or mildew.