Now that you have purchased your outdoor furniture from Eurolux Patio, we want to make sure that it serves you well and keeps its good looks for many seasons. This can be easily achieved by some light maintenance of the wicker and cushions.
Your new furniture is made from non-recycled polyethylene (PE) wicker which is the safest and longest lasting synthetic material used today for outdoor wicker furniture. Its stylish looks and low maintenance make it a first choice for home owners and commercial settings alike.
PE wicker is water and dirt resistant, durable and UV coated to protect against the sun's UV radiation. It is designed to withstand the varied micro climates of Southern California and with regular cleaning should provide years of enjoyment. It has also stood the test of time on the patios of our customers on the East Coast and Mid-West, proving that in even rigorous climates PE wicker is built to last!
PE Wicker Cleaning Tips:
Most of the time PE wicker can be cleaned using water and a very mild soap. This will take care of dirt and rain spots.
- Remove the cushions and use a garden hose to eliminate excess dirt. This should do the trick, but if more attention is needed for sticky spills, use a mild soap to wash the wicker as needed.
- Air dry, or wipe down with a soft cloth to avoid mineral deposits if you live in an area with hard water.
- During periods when you are not using your outdoor furniture invest in a high quality patio furniture cover, this will reduce the amount of surface dirt and increase the life of your patio set.
Outdoor garden furniture, whether placed on a patio or deck offers some unique challenges when it comes to keeping the cushions well maintained. Exposure to the elements, such as rain, sun and dirt provide a very different environment than what we are typically accustomed to with indoor furniture. Even if it is positioned under an awning or canopy, patio furniture still has to contend with all of those extreme outdoor factors mentioned above.
Follow these few simple steps and your outdoor patio furniture cushions will continue to look great for many summer seasons:
- Invest in a high quality patio furniture cover, this will protect the cushions from moisture, dust and help with fading issues.
- All of our patio furniture comes with all weather fabric, some with Polyester finish, but mostly from Sunbrella. Albeit a very thick thread count, polyester will fade over time. You can control the degree of fading and lengthen the life of your cushion covers by rotating the cushions regularly from one side of your sectional or sofa to the other to allow for an even fade. This way you will eliminate dark and light patches and keep your cushions looking their best.
- Dust and dirt will collect on any outside surface that is not covered. A windy day, or dust from a garden blower can litter the cushions with debris. This is easily managed, with the use of a soft brush or dry white towel to dust off the cushions before use.
- Pet fur can be stubborn to eliminate, as it can make its way into the fibers of the fabric. Ensure that part of your maintenance regimen includes using a vacuum cleaner with an upholstery attachment to help eliminate pet fur.
- Extend the life of your foam and fabric by standing the cushions on their edge after a rain storm, this will allow the water can drain out quickly. It will also help prevent mold and mildew from forming and prolong the life of the foam and fabric. Ideally, if you are able, it is always best to bring the cushions inside when it rains or place an outdoor furniture cover over the set.
- Should your cushions fall foul to spills and stains, make sure that you treat them immediately and spot clean using a damp cloth with a mild detergent before they set. Some stains like blood and grass may require a different treatment; refer to a stain removal guide before you embark on cleaning any type of stain.
- For ease of care, all of our patio furniture cushions have zippers so that the cushion covers are removable. These can then be washed in cold water using a mild detergent.
- Care must be taken when drying the cushion covers. Never tumble dry; allow the cushion covers to dry flat to avoid shrinkage. Any wrinkles will smooth out when replaced on the foam insert.
- Eurolux offers cushion care products, such as those made by 303 to extend the life of your cushions.
- Sunbrella offers some tips to care for Sunbrella cushions.